Title IX Sports

Title IX states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

Who is protected?

Protected individuals include student-athletes, coaches, and administrators at all educational institutions that receive federal funding. It will likely be more prevalent at the collegiate level, but high schools and middle schools can be affected as well.

Student-athletes, administrators, and coaches are in the position to understand how injustices in women’s and girls’ sports are still occurring. This can range from girls’ and women’s programs being short-changed in opportunities for participation and scholarship money, to not receiving equal treatment in equipment or tutoring.

Female coaches are at the highest risk of discrimination. Student-athlete complaints based upon gender or sexual orientation can put the program and coaches career at risk. Athletic administrators may not be aware of the gender bias that attacks female coaches on a regular, if not daily, basis. School officials can make hasty decisions that end female coaching careers.

Newkirk Zwagerman is Different

We understand how gender and sexual orientation bias work. We understand how it can infiltrate the decision-making process, leaving student-athletes, coaches, and administrators in an untenable position.

We have been successful in helping coaches and administrators around the country. We can help educate schools in pausing for a moment to ensure they are not taking discriminatory actions that cost a coach her job.


We can help schools prevent discrimination. Contact us!
We can help

Title IX Resources

     NCAA FAQs

     Women's Sport Foundation


     Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport

     U.S. Department of Education - Office of Civil Rights

All information on our website is meant to be generally informative. To find out whether you may have a case, you should consult an employment or discrimination attorney of your choice.