Title IX Law
Newkirk Zwaggerman is a Des Moines law firm with a roster of civil rights lawyers dedicated to representing clients with Title IX civil complaints. Our civil rights firm employs experienced Title IX lawyers with the experience required to ensure that you get the due process you deserve in any Title IX complaint-based civil lawsuits.
Title IX is a federal civil rights law that states:
No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
Title IX prohibits discrimination, harassment, and retaliation against a person (student or employee) based on gender bias.
Title IX applies to all educational institutions that receive federal financial assistance which would include most K-12, college, and graduate colleges and universities.
Title IX harassment issues include:
- Sexual misconduct or harassment against a student, which includes sexual assault
- An educational institution’s deliberate indifference to known acts (reported) of sexual harassment and the effects of that harassment
- Maternity discrimination in relation to limiting access to education for pregnant students, and parenting students in general
- Unfair treatment in employment, including pay equity issues and wrongful termination based on implicit bias against someone for their sex or gender
- Retaliation for reporting discrimination based on sex or gender, harassment based on sex or gender, sexual harassment, or sexual assault
- Retaliation for participating in a Title IX investigation to determine if employee or student rights have been violated
Our civil attorneys are well-versed in all aspects of the Title IX process from Iowa Title IX defense all the way through the Title IX resolution process. Our experienced, compassionate Iowa Title IX advisors are here to provide legal help for students that is individualized to their individual circumstances. When it comes to Title XI student legal help, Newkirk Zwaggerman is here to help you navigate every step of the process with experience, understanding, and expert legal guidance.
All information on our website is meant to be generally informative. You may have a civil case if there has been a violation of your Title IX rights. We recommend you should consult an employment or discrimination attorney of your choice to discuss your legal issue and to see if there is a potential for a Title IX case.